<bgsound src="http://www.geocities.com/kstheam/Midi/cannind.mid" loop="infinite">

Palace of the Tan Sri

Friday, June 17, 2005

On Miracles (?) .....

Definition of Miracle:
  1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).
  2. One that excites admiring awe.
  3. A miracle play.
Source : Dictionary.com

Does one consider an A1 a miracle? Personally I do not, considering the Malaysian education system.

Been some time since I posted, so bear with me while I go chronogically backwards.

Today (Thursday) :
Not much interesting things, excect for Gary. Gary who you ask? No, not that lovable, huggable and cute Gary from 8TV. This Gary is the diametric from the 8TV Gary. This Gary is loud, obnoxious, and with some hints of arrogance.

With neither a knock nor a courteous peek, he stormed into our class, only to run into SE Hong teaching, which really irritated her, since this wasn't the first time he had interrupted her for the day. SE left the class and soon he reigned supreme. As if by cue, he put his files down and left for a toilet break, prompting an exodus(I actually think all of us were trying to avoid him). Some of them took a leisurely walk before returning, and this clearly peeved our Dear Gary off.

You could say I had already received warning that this guy was a nonsense talker (in my friend's words that is) but then I decided to give him a chance. 2 minutes into his self introduction and nonsensical drawings [e.g. fjch, $$, Career blah blah blah]. He began to show his weakness in the English Language. By jove, there were more errors that I lost track of, [a few examples can be seen at ST's blog], his greatest language faux pax was to use direct chinese translation into flowery language that when stripped, revealed the naked glory of this supposedly verbose speaker.

5 minutes in, and I began to tune out. He committed one such great error that I decided listening to him yak on his self achievements would be more detrimental to my IQ than anything else. This guy sure is damn arrogant, I quote, "When I graduate from university, I want my first month paycheque to be 5k SGD (11k MYR), with an increment of 15% annually. I want to have a 40k salary by the fourth year" Now as some of you would know, I like to analyse personalities through behaviours, and I interpreted this as extremely arrogant and overconfident. My reasoning : Earlier on he said he wanted to be entrepreneur, and later he spoke about his salary. I may not have formal business training, but I am well aware that there is no way that an upstart business can have a profit in a month. Heck, Microsoft took well over 15 years to become truly profitable. Even the examples our Dear Gary spoke of, Uncle Lim and Sim, even they took more than 10 years to get their businesses to become profitable.

My mind wandered after this and once in a while I caught a bit of what he was spewing, Sports Hypnosis, A1s, 30 marks in school exams and what nots. He was rather fortunate that it was 1.45 when he ended and not 1.25 where I would have given him a piece of my mind.

Wednesday :
Went to school, MUET came, had the wackiest assignment I have yet to see. SH Tan played an instrumental song which some of us recognised to be "Silence is Golden" and asked to compose lyrics for it. I expect at least half or more of the groups to present something weird, I know I am gonna. :P

Tuesday and Monday:
Nothing much. School Exam Results came out.

Holiday Week:
The first Friday I went to IDP Penang to enquire about IELTS and university application, there I was informed that there was a IELTS Crash Course (or in their words, Preparatory Course) to be held the following Monday to Thursday. I registered for it, and the exam on the 11th. Went through 4 days of classes with 3 hours each, and pratically was bored. It really wasn't helpful that I had a paranoid sitting on my left, and blubbering out mandarin half the time, but then anyone would be nervous if they were taking an exam barely 4 days away.

Saturday dawned and I went to IDP, took the exam, till about 2.30 pm in the afternoon. Took a nap, and went for Star Wars : Revenge of the Sith later in the day. Gurney traffic was at a crawl and parking was chaotic. By the time we managed to enter, the previews just ended, with the scrolling about to begin. It is unimaginable that in this society, that there are people who are unable to differentiate E05 with E11 . Some actually had the cheek to demand to see our ticket and claim it is their seat. Next time such a thing happens, I am gonna blow my top liao...

Actually I have to admit, nothing much was done during the holidays, I didn't even go through the 5 kg of university prospectuses (or prospectii, which one ? :P) that IDP gave me on Friday.

8 Comments:

  • glad to be the 1st to comment

    Who the hell is Gary??? sounded like a bucketload of crap. The ammount of crap ppl can talk nowadays for money is amazing. Prev heard bout someone saying he can earn MILLIONS after he graduated as a doctor!!! Only a fool would believe that, yet the mum agrees.

    Why did you go to IDP??? should have went to British Council mar......

    By Blogger CW TAN, at 7:26 AM  

  • gary is the new hero of my class who has offered to teach us the secret to success for only RM15....now doesnt THAT sound pretty...

    eh tansri..which ST were u referring to in this post? :P

    By Blogger raptor_ravenlord, at 9:49 PM  

  • refering to yst i guess,

    haha,was wondering when on earth did raptor post such an entry about this crapper(or rather mr baggart,according to mr. yst) :P

    By Blogger sjune, at 10:16 PM  

  • He's having a greater number of followers than I expected. That's a miracle for a start! Especially B4... Kiasu loh!

    By Blogger Kryptos, at 5:42 PM  

  • such is the bane of kiasuness and being in clhs

    By Blogger Tan Sri, at 6:14 PM  

  • hm. in the end about 3 from my class went, out of the 20+ who signed up :P

    By Blogger raptor_ravenlord, at 1:52 AM  

  • that includes me. never judge a book by it's cover, i felt it's ok to be a bit boastful if you have the "material". like jay is so diao :P

    By Blogger samuel_lhc, at 11:29 PM  

  • Another thing about Gary: He think he is Anthony Robbins. He say he can produce 'Amazing Results', yet quoted this as 'Miracle' in Chinese. If he can perform 3 miracles, then perhaps we should propose to the Pope to declare him a Saint...

    By Blogger Cheng Eng Aun, at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home