一日为师,终生为父
1: a person whose occupation is teaching [syn: instructor]
2: a personified abstraction that teaches; "books were his teachers"; "experience is a demanding teacher"
2: a personified abstraction that teaches; "books were his teachers"; "experience is a demanding teacher"
Source : Dictionary.com
I hate writing eulogies... I really do... It just simply means that someone I know has died... It's been over 20 days since I last wrote a post, and it was an eulogy.
Now, I shall write another.
一日为师,终生为父, or in this politically correct world of ours, 一日为师,终生为长. In all my 18 years (almost 19) of life, I have gone through many teachers, most of which taught me on average 2-3 years. Some taught me a few months, some 3 years. But only one taught me 8 years.
At the age of 10, I began to be tutored by her. She was then already a septuagenarian, aged 75, an old lady of immense knowledge of the language of the Anglicans. Her fame in English was only rivaled by that of another wizened old lady, a Mrs.Alphonso, who has stopped taking students by then.
Mrs.Lim, teacher of hundreds over 2 generations passed away on Monday, the 11th of July 2005, aged 84.
Many would see her as a fierce teacher, but deep inside, she only wishes to reverse the trend of the declining english standard. A disciplinarian by nature, she struck fear into most of her students. Many left after a while.
From Standard 3 to Form 5 I studied under her. In between those years, she had many a mishap, including hip fracture and serious illnesses, but still she preservered and came back to teach, her reason being that teaching is her life, and that life would be meaningless if she stopped teaching. She taught till the day she died.
An English teacher who taught in many schools, including the Convents and Chung Ling Private itself, she has seen the many facets of school life. She once spoke of the late Wang Yoong Nien and that he was a strict yet friendly man when he was Principal of CL Private. She taught the generation before me, and later my generation.
Today, I went to her wake, she slept in the casket, no longer aware of all that transpires around her. I last saw her after SPM, after finishing 8 years of English tuition. Now all that remains are memories.
May God bless this Grand Old Dame of English. May she rest in peace.
I hate writing eulogies... I really do... It just simply means that someone I know has died... It's been over 20 days since I last wrote a post, and it was an eulogy.
Now, I shall write another.
一日为师,终生为父, or in this politically correct world of ours, 一日为师,终生为长. In all my 18 years (almost 19) of life, I have gone through many teachers, most of which taught me on average 2-3 years. Some taught me a few months, some 3 years. But only one taught me 8 years.
At the age of 10, I began to be tutored by her. She was then already a septuagenarian, aged 75, an old lady of immense knowledge of the language of the Anglicans. Her fame in English was only rivaled by that of another wizened old lady, a Mrs.Alphonso, who has stopped taking students by then.
Mrs.Lim, teacher of hundreds over 2 generations passed away on Monday, the 11th of July 2005, aged 84.
Many would see her as a fierce teacher, but deep inside, she only wishes to reverse the trend of the declining english standard. A disciplinarian by nature, she struck fear into most of her students. Many left after a while.
From Standard 3 to Form 5 I studied under her. In between those years, she had many a mishap, including hip fracture and serious illnesses, but still she preservered and came back to teach, her reason being that teaching is her life, and that life would be meaningless if she stopped teaching. She taught till the day she died.
An English teacher who taught in many schools, including the Convents and Chung Ling Private itself, she has seen the many facets of school life. She once spoke of the late Wang Yoong Nien and that he was a strict yet friendly man when he was Principal of CL Private. She taught the generation before me, and later my generation.
Today, I went to her wake, she slept in the casket, no longer aware of all that transpires around her. I last saw her after SPM, after finishing 8 years of English tuition. Now all that remains are memories.
May God bless this Grand Old Dame of English. May she rest in peace.

2 Comments:
ah well...the Reaper claims us all sooner or later. at least she'll be remembered...
By
raptor_ravenlord, at 10:16 PM
Your blog is so "dead", well you shouldn't post 2 dead logs in a row!
By
K.O.J.A., at 4:24 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home